[AT] cub / prime oil pump

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Thu Jun 9 15:39:56 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/9/05 12:50:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
DAVIESW739 at aol.com writes:

I DID lose a set of bearings in an engine
that  failed to prime after setting all winter.

Many larger commercial engines have built in pre lub pumps.  Some even have
electric pumps that are controlled by timers that pump lub oil through the
engine when it is not running.  I know of a case where the pumps were wired wrong
(3 phase) and the pumps sucked oil instead of pumping oil and you and your
fellow tax payers paid a lot of tax dollars to repair several of these engines.

Sometimes if one of my engines is slow to start after sitting idle for a
period of time I am glad.  I always pull the coil wire or diesel solenoid wire if
an engine has not been run for several months.  Crank until I've got oil
pressure showing and this is the recommend procedure in several shop manuals.

Gary
Renton, WA.