[AT] grease in steering gearbox

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Thu Jun 9 06:13:55 PDT 2005

> I'm going to guess you don't work on ford steering boxes too often..
> nothing easy
> about the ordeal at all.

Sounder,

You've summarized the situation pretty well.  Grease can work well for a
long time in a box that can't get water in it like a Cub's can.  However
it's a mixed bag in Cubs.  I recently repaired the steering box on the Cub
I'm taking to CubFest and experienced the bad side of using grease.  The
mess of getting it all out was a nuisance but water was the big problem.
The grease had all left the important surfaces to cling to all the extra
space in the box and water had entered in its' place to destroy the worm
wheel, worm wheel shaft, and the worm that is part of the steering shaft.
They were a badly rusted mess beyond all hope of saving... the grease
offered no protection at all.

Now... here's the mystery.  If the seals wouldn't hold 90wt, why or how on
earth did the water stay inside?

I agree the Ford's steering boxes aren't fun to work on, BTDT.  I've been
inside the steering gear on both my 9Ns and the early 8N.  I much prefer the
setup on the 9N.

George Willer