[AT] Re: AT Digest, Vol 16, Issue 8

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Wed Jun 8 07:30:05 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/8/2005 5:42:11 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
c.britton at worldnet.att.net writes:
JD cornhead grease makes a great steering  box lube for units with bad seals.
The grease liquifies and slowly flows  back into the gear teeth mesh area
instead of staying 'flung' up against the  box walls like a heavier 2# or 4#
grease.  JD ch grease is a 0#  grease.. and I suppose any 0# grease would
work if ya don't like  'green'.  I'm mainly a ford person.. and thats the
"official and  approved" (wink) lube for a steering gearbox with bad seals
when one doesn't  have the time or money for an immediate teardown and
reseal.

Soundguy

----------------------------

I would think that it would easier just to replace the seals, most  seals can
be found at your local Bearing and seal store.  I just replaced  the seals on
my Old Sun-Master rotary mower took 1 day to get them at Napa. Now  I don't
have any leaks so I won't be worrying about the thing going dry and  wiping out
an expensive gear box.
Like I keep saying, short cuts in  mechanical work can only get you in
trouble later on.

Walt  Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361