[AT] Checked rows - Corn planting?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Jun 7 10:25:55 PDT 2005

This "checked rows" thread reminds me of a potato patch some of my relatives
had when I was a kid. Every potato spaced evenly on the square and
diagonally. Interestingly they never used any type of mechanical weed
control, just a hoe. But it looked so precise and well laid out and I guess
this is what they wanted. I never could figure out how they did it until
seeing the "implement" they had built. It was the general shape of a garden
rake and as wide as 3 rows. It had 3 pegs in it that contacted the ground as
they dragged across the garden. Do this operation in two directions and you
will end up with a perfect checkerboard garden. I've got a picture of that
garden somewhere from way back in the sixties.

Ralph in Sask.