[AT] Check your grounds, OT news, and Portland

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Thu Jul 21 14:12:05 PDT 2005

Larry D. Goss wrote:

>You have been in my thoughts a lot this week, Farmer.  The phrase "Check
>the grounds!" keeps going through my head as I troubleshoot the safety
>wiring on a 1618 Power King.  It IS a ground problem, but the open
>circuit in the system is defying detection.  It would be so simple to
>just bypass the whole safety circuit and send it back to its owner, but
>I don't have enough liability insurance to do that sort of thing.
>
>Larry

Thank you to both of you.  My 1922 Dodge Brothers Touring has the 12v
starter/generator the Dodge boys used in those days.  "Silent Cal"
always starts very quietly (chain drive starter-- when RPMs increase, it
becomes a generator.)   Last couple of years it has hesitated in turning
over-- always started; would go "rrr-----rrr-----(very quietly, of
course) the rrr---rrAhema putta putta putta."   The "putta putta is the
illustration for all 22 horsepower in magnificent operation.     I
finally realized the hesitation between the "rrr's" COULD BE BAD
GROUNDS!   It is a 12v system, neg ground from the factory.  I changed
the ground strap from the frame (where it had been for  83 years, to the
transmission.  NOW, (big surprise) it goes: " ---rrrVROOM, putta putta,
putta putta. "    THANKS FOR THE REMINDER from an old car guy who should
know better-- but we all sometimes forget the basics.     Carl in Vermont