[AT] Check your grounds, OT news, and Portland

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Jul 21 10:27:55 PDT 2005

Bobby's been conversing with me about this problem, too, Steve.  He's
experienced the same problem with the 1618 plastic-hooded tractor.  I've
wired around all the safety switches and replaced the safety module to
no avail.  Every section of the safety circuit checks OK with an
ohmmeter.  The ignition switch shows evidence of hot wires and I'm going
to replace that this afternoon to see if it makes any difference.  I'm
beginning to think that I may have two bad safety modules -- the old
one, and the one I just bought.  I haven't wired around the safety
module yet because I'll need to make a jumper for it, but that's one of
the next steps.  Fortunately the wiring harness on this tractor consists
of several lengths of electrical tape, so it's easy to pull the whole
thing apart and trace where stuff is going, but I've not run into this
sort of thing before.  It may be that there's a section of wire that is
still showing continuity but that won't carry enough power to actuate
the solenoid.  There could be corrosion at the point where one of the
quick disconnects is crimped on to the wire.  That would cause a problem
like this.  Thank goodness I'm working in my air-conditioned shop
instead of out in the heat we're experiencing.

Larry