[AT] Check your grounds, OT news, and Portland

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Jul 21 08:54:09 PDT 2005

Dudley:

According to what I have read these fuel lever sensors are not just for
Astronaut/control room observation but part of the closed loop control
system and are integral to the timing of certain events. The redundancy is
designed to prevent a misreading of fuel levels in the event multiple
sensors fail, which could cause the spacecraft's engines to overheat and
explode or leave it short of its necessary orbit.

Many years ago I was on a non-stop Boeing 727 flight from Tampa, FL to Los
Angeles, CA and somewhere over New Mexico/Arizona the pilot came on the
intercom and announced we were making an unplanned stop in Phoenix to take
on more fuel. Apparently the flight had run into more headwind than normal
and they didn't have enough fuel to make it to LA safely.

Had the same thing occur on an international non-stop flight from Seattle to
Hong Kong not too many years ago. We had to stop in Taipei to pick up some
more fuel so we could make it to Hong Kong.

It doesn't give the passengers a nice warm and fuzzy feeling.

Running out of fuel in a road vehicle is a bit different than in a plane.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com