[AT] O.T. ATV spot sprayers

Dan Folske dfolske at nccray.net
Sat Jul 16 18:09:01 PDT 2005

It really depends on exactly what you will be using it for.

I have one $99 special from Tractor Supply. It does a great job for spot
spraying small spots and spraying Roundup or ground sterilant around
buildings. The biggist complaint I have about it is the fill lid. It has a
hole in the center with a lanyard through it so you won't loose it but it
lets the chemical slop out. This unit has a 15 gallon tank and I can remove
it with a full tank if I need to. This unit has a 1.2 gpm pump

I supervise our county weed board spray crews. We have one unit with twin 10
gallon tanks. that is a nice feature if you need to apply two different
chemicals separately. It is also nice with the same chemical in both tanks
and using liquid from both tanks because it limits the sloshing or wave
action which can seriously affect balance and stability. This unit
originally had a three section boom which would cover 12 feet. This was
great for spraying insecticide on lawns for mosquito control and herbicides
for lawn weed control or spraying spots in crop. Most of our spraying is in
road ditches and pastures, often with brush present and many varying heights
of grasses and other plants. The boom system was very poor for that purpose
because it was never at the right height. We have recently replace the booms
with "boombuster" boomless nozzles which spray about 15 feet to either side
and do not have the problems with vaying heights of target plants. You do
have to be more concerned about drift in windy conditions.

We have another unit with a 25 gallon tank which came with boomless nozzles.
It was priced about $385 with a 4.3 gpm pump and a 15 foot handline. The
single 25 gallon tank is nicer to fill than the twin tanks but definitely
presents a greater stability problem. It has a large fill opening like my 15
gallon tank but the cover has a oneway valve in it to allow air into the
tanks while preventing spills.

Some commercial sprayers in the area have units with 30 gallon tanks and
hose reels with 50 or even 100 feet of hose and also have boomless nozzles.
For about $900 dollars these sprayers also feature brass valves and
stainless steel pistol grip hand wands instead of plastic.