[AT] new spuds

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Jul 11 21:23:01 PDT 2005

On 7/11/2005 at 11:25 AM Herbert Metz wrote:

>Ron & Dudley
>If memory serves, a very successful Indiana gardener neighbor always
>mulched
>part of his potato patch with a thick layer of wheat (?) straw and planted
>those potatoes very shallow.

Herb,

When I was a kid in Missouri, they called these straw potatoes.  They were nice and
and clean, and kept better in a cellar than regular planted spuds.  I think they let
the straw set out over winter before using it, so that the wheat would sprout out of it and not
grow up in the potatoes. The favorite potato variety was called cobblers, but I don't know if
that was a nickname or the trade name.  They were mighty fine eatin'.

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com