[Steam-engine] lap seam boiler preshure

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Fri Jul 8 08:19:37 PDT 2005

Well....  Before I got my Undies all in a Bundle about rivet diameter or
pitch I would find out exactly what your state is reguiring. And whether
they are adopting NBIC Appendix C or just cooking up rules on their own.
Many states are or have adopted the NBIC.

I do know that NBIC Appendix C is in the process of being rewritten. The
last info I have is that they use a Joint efficiency of .74 for a double
riveted lap.

Also if the design pressure of your boiler is 100 PSI WHY did you hydro it
at 200 PSI. Here if they ever find out that you exceeded over 10% of 1 and
1/2 times MAWP they CAN Condemn the boiler on the spot. NBIC appendix C only
requires 1 1/4 times MAWP or at least working pressure if agreable to the
inspector.

And YES the last Minnesota inspection I witnessed they used 1 1/4 MAWP. The
minnesota inspector stated that use Adendix C.... I think they use whatever
they fancy at the moment.

According to Appendix C the state can set any safety factor they want as
long as it's not less than 4. Here we have to use 5 Unless we can Prove at
least 55,000 tensil strength. And Yes... some people are cutting out chunks
and having them tested so they can use a SF of 4.

Appendix C states they will assume a ts of 45,000 for wrought iron or 55,000
for steel. The problem is in proving what you got.

Also I have issues with the Minnesota safety factor. They state they use 5
for code or 6 for non code and they clearly use a SF of 4 on the stayed
surfaces. That almost got us in trouble when the inspectors were confiring a
couple years ago....

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine,  Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R.
Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/