[Steam-engine] lap seam boiler preshure

CopperheadMarine at aol.com CopperheadMarine at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 19:04:32 PDT 2005

Well'

   The boiler had a 100lb. safety when I got it and I am assuming  that that
is design pressure I have hydroed it and it didn't leak at 200lbs. No  bad
pits.

No fusible plug or even a hand hole fore one.

 Titusville boiler made for Fairbanks Morse.

Lap seam double row of staggered rivets.

safety is 800 lbs/hour @ 100 psi

Not sure how to check the diameter of a rivet?

Not sure how to get the tensile strength? Rockwell test?

The boiler works good and has for years. hopefully the introduction of
inspections here won't cause it to be unsafe?  I had a woman on the DHEC  board
tell me once that even though we had had no incidence of hazardous waste  at our
facility in 25 years that the introduction of the new hazardous waste  ruling
would increase our chances that we would get some. I told her that if the  law
would increase the risk then we should drop the law to reduce the risk. She
looked up and to the left for a long time as she thought about that one!

Chas F