[Steam-engine] lap seam boiler preshure

HISTMACHRY at aol.com HISTMACHRY at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 05:55:43 PDT 2005

Chas,

To determine the working pressure of the shell we need; the tensile strength
of the material, the efficiency of the seam, min. thickness of the shell,
inside dia, and a factor of safety value.

To specifically determine the efficiency of the riveted seam, we need to know
the rivet dia and pitch of rivets, and the configuration of the seam (how
many rows of rivets). Some states use a standard efficiency for each type of
seam, I believe this makes to many assumptions!

To determine the working pressure of the boiler, you  also need to analyze
all of the boiler components. The weakest part then determines the working
pressure.

Robert