[AT] Loose hay/round balers

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 28 09:29:42 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <CBear81438 at aol.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Loose hay/round balers

> Ralph:
> Down here, everyone runs from those chain type balers.  Tehy tell me  that
if
> you put up very  much hay, you will replace those chains about  every 2
> years.  In the past 3 years there have been about 8 of those balers  at
auction.
> They bring from $500 to $1000....

I see theres a big price difference south of the border. Most of the trade
ins I have seen of that model (NH 847) seem to run in the 3 to 4 thousand
range here. Of course auction prices could be considerably less than that.
Yes, I 've seen some old Vermeers that seem to be well liked by their
owners. I wouldn't be making a lot of bales a year for only a dozen head of
cattle so chains would likely last quite a while. . It would probably make
more sense economically to hire a neighbour to bale for me but its also nice
to have your own baler in the shed ready to go whenever the hay is ready..

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/