[AJD] Serial Number Plate

whodunnit elacruze at comcast.net
Mon Jan 24 08:03:12 PST 2005

David Smith wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  Back to the 1938.  It is an A.  He has discussed taking a serial tag off of a doaner tractor.  Just a matter of finding one.  I might have to check on ebay for him and see what we can find.  It sounds like from what you guys have written that it would be next to impossible to find the accurate serail number.
>
> Thanks,
> David

I researched the SN on my Styled AO, and even with a tag on it which
still had the last two digits clear and undamaged, it was a real
project. If not for the Two-Cylinder mag publishing the serial number
list, I'd never have been sure. The maincase, cylinder, and head all had
the correct casting numbers to be one of the latest made, and it has a
water pump as well. The entire fanshaft assembly and clutch assembly had
been swapped out from an earlier tractor. I had the tractor entirely
apart, and the part numbers and serial number splits compared against
the list of SN's to only three tractors (the list eliminated AI, AR, and
gasoline only tractors which shared SNs) then I had to do a microscopic
examination of the damaged parts of the tag to eliminate further. I even
had to remove one rivet and look at the depressions underneath.
Ultimately without the published list, partial number and being a rare
tractor with very few possible numbers I'd never have been certain.
Because of the increasing fraud in rare tractors, the factory was
sympathetic but would not help at all. Even the SN search for build
specs came up empty-the late ones didn't have many records at the
factory anyway.

Eric