[AJD] Serial Number Plate

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jan 22 21:14:06 PST 2005

Bill:

I have recorded the two serial numbers and they are now in my billfold. When
attending shows this summer I'll keep an eye out for them. I doubt they
would come this far West but who knows. But....stranger things have
happened.

Now regarding the serial number on the Power Lift or Power Troll. As far as
I know, JD did not record the serial number of the hydraulic unit in their
tractor production register. There are those on the list who have done
considerable JD Archive research and hopefully they will chime in here. I
suspect the recording of the serial number of the ancillary items with
serial numbers was primarily to aid in repair parts purchases at the dealer.

I do know that using the serial number of the magneto to try to identify the
serial number of the tractor would probably be an exercise in total
frustration. I can't think of another serialized item on the tractor that
was replaced or exchanged more often than the magneto's. In fact of the 14
tractors I have here I sincerely doubt any of them have the Magneto's on
them now that they had when they arrived. And that is just over a period of
6 or so years. None of them have the original magneto on them that they were
shipped with from the factory. Imagine how many times a magneto was replaced
or exchanged over 50 or 60 years.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door