[Farmall] OT: Compact tractor needs

soffiler at myeastern.com soffiler at myeastern.com
Mon Jan 17 05:25:11 PST 2005

From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>

> Having worked for a New Holland dealer...

Listen carefully to all of Mike's advice.  I can vouch for
the fact that he knows exactly what he's talking about.

> ...Be aware
> that after-market belly mowers that fit older compact
> tractors are virtually impossible to find, so if you want
> to mow  with a machine that doesn't come with a mower, you
> may have to go to a  rear mounted unit, which work very
> well...

On the subject of mowing...  unless you've got a lawn like a
golf course, I do not recommend mowing with a compact
utility tractor.  I am referring specifically to *lawn*
mowing.  Coarse grassy field-like terrain is another matter.
 The typical compact utility tractor under discussion here
(20+ HP diesel machine built stout enough to be suitable for
a front-loader) is physically too large to maneuver the
"typical" lawn (my lawn, at least, has a few curves and
corners and trees).  And the C.U.T. is quite heavy,
resulting in turf compaction and possibly even damage to
your septic system in the worst case.

I have a '91 Ford/New-Holland 1520 HST, which is a 23
gross-HP diesel, hydrostatic transmission, 4x4, with loader
and calcium-filled tires.  Thus equipped it weighs about
3200lb.  Can you imagine mowing your lawn with a 3200lb
machine?  You might as well put a belly mower on a Ford
Ranger pickup.  Oh, and also as Mike pointed out, it cost in
the approximate ballpark of $10,000 when I purchased it used
with about 300 hours on it.

I mow with an '88 Cub Cadet 1812 which is has an 18HP Kohler
twin (very smooth) and 44" deck.

Steve O.