[Farmall] OT: Compact tractor needs

Roger Snyder rsnyder at ioa.com
Mon Jan 17 11:54:02 PST 2005

To All

I mow some residential and church yards.  I had a MF 1160-4 wheel drive.  It
was about 40 HP.  I now have a MF 451 4-wheel drive, which is about 50 HP.
The mower that I use for the last 15 years is a Mascho (Italian) Brand.  It
has 72 inch cut with wheel adjustable heights.  It runs off of the tractor's
PTO.  I rebuilt the mower several years, bearings, belts and so forth. Both
tractors have the quick-release front-end loaders.  My local JD / MF dealer
quit carrying parts for the Mascho several years ago and that prompt me to
rebuilt it while parts were available.

Compact Tractors-When I went to trade my MF-1160 for a MF-1190, I found out
that compact tractor prices were out of sight.  I actually purchased the
451 cheaper than the 1190.  Stay with a name brand that you have a dealer
close by.  It will save you in the long run

The problem with the 451 is mowing in small areas.  I have the "industrial"
tread on the tires and as long as you don't cut the corners too tight, you
are all right.

Roger in Western North Carolina