[Farmall] OT: Compact tractor needs

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jan 17 03:43:20 PST 2005

Having worked for a New Holland dealer, I am biased towards the brand I
sold, but the JD, MF, Case IH, and Kubota are also excellent machines.
If I were in the market for that kind of tractor, I would lean towards a
brand that is supported by a local dealer - when you need parts or
service for your only machine, that is going to be a critical factor. We
saw some of the "off brands" from China and India, and they were not as
nicely built as the "traditional" brands and were extremely difficult to
find parts for. Unlike farm tractors, support for older models is not as
complete as we have become accustomed to, and a tractor that is only 10
years old may not have any kind of parts availability, especially "gray
market" machines like Yanmar, etc. Incidentally, the Case IH, JD, and NH
tractors are assembled in the USA from Japanese components, but most of
the others (Deutz Allis, Massey Ferguson, Kubota, etc.) are shipped over
whole from Japan. The "off brand" machines, like Northern, China Diesel,
Kyote, Mahindra, Landtrac (Long), etc. come from all over the "third
world".

You may be surprised to discover that prices for used 4WD compact
diesels in the power range you are looking at are quite high. Even a
machine in average condition with a loader is going to run in the
$10,000+ range. Be aware that after-market belly mowers that fit older
compact tractors are virtually impossible to find, so if you want to mow
with a machine that doesn't come with a mower, you may have to go to a
rear mounted unit, which work very well. But good ones (like Woods) are
expensive, while the cheap ones are junk. If you buy a compact with a
loader, you will absolutely need some kind of rear weight arrangement -
three point counterweight, wheel weights, or liquid ballast. Once you
fill the bucket, you will have virtually no rear traction.

Mike

Mark wrote:
> All,
>
> We just move to our new mini-farm in Sept. When we moved, the PO was
> selling their Allis(?) compact utility tractor. 3 cyl diesel, 4WD, loader,
> PTO, 3pt. At the time I just didn't have the cash flow with the move and
> all. As we go through winter, it's obvious that I'm going to need a
> machine like that to keep my sanity (and health) around here. So, I'd like
> to ask the list if they have any recommendations for such a tractor.
> Ideally,  I'd like something in the 20ish HP range, cat 1 3pt, PTO,
> loader, 4wd (gets muddy here), and ability to have a belly mower (but not
> required). An older IH something would be great but not sure what would be
> similar to a modern compact tractor. If I get something modern, any
> suggestions or things to avoid? It will be used for sure, can't afford
> new. Most of these are diesel, what should I watch out for when buying a
> diesel - never owned one before.
>
> thanks!
>
> Mark in snowy Ohio

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books,
and there is some evidence that they can't read them either. -Gore Vidal
(1925- )