[Farmall] OT: Compact tractor needs

Mark mark at ironacres.com
Sun Jan 16 15:16:46 PST 2005

All,

We just move to our new mini-farm in Sept. When we moved, the PO was
selling their Allis(?) compact utility tractor. 3 cyl diesel, 4WD, loader,
PTO, 3pt. At the time I just didn't have the cash flow with the move and
all. As we go through winter, it's obvious that I'm going to need a
machine like that to keep my sanity (and health) around here. So, I'd like
to ask the list if they have any recommendations for such a tractor.
Ideally,  I'd like something in the 20ish HP range, cat 1 3pt, PTO,
loader, 4wd (gets muddy here), and ability to have a belly mower (but not
required). An older IH something would be great but not sure what would be
similar to a modern compact tractor. If I get something modern, any
suggestions or things to avoid? It will be used for sure, can't afford
new. Most of these are diesel, what should I watch out for when buying a
diesel - never owned one before.

thanks!

Mark in snowy Ohio