[Farmall] OT: Compact tractor needs

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Mon Jan 17 08:47:53 PST 2005

As Mike stated, prices on 4wd diesel compact tractors are very high.  I bit
the bullet and bought one of the 100-hour rental units offered in CA.  The
tractors are leased out for one grape harvest, no more than 100 hours of
use, and then sold at a significant discount.  The tractors are used to pull
wagons during harvest (often driven by children).  Even with the discount,
the 24-hp Kubota I bought with new loader and box scraper was about $18K,
ten years ago.  But if you own property, it's really hard to get along
without a tractor and loader.  As a back saver, a loader or forklift has no
equal.

I realize that your need is fairly urgent, but my best advice to you is to
keep your eyes open.  Every year or so I see a fairly good deal.  Last one I
saw was on eBay; it was a 20hp Kubota with loader for around $5K up in
northern CA.  I almost bid on it, knowing that it could be resold for
thousands more.

Diesel is the only way to go.  The tractor will sit for long periods between
jobs, and gasoline has far too short of shelf life.  You'd be constantly
troubled by gummed up carburetor on a gasoline engine equipped tractor.

In general, any of the Japanese brands are good.  If you've done any
research, it will become obvious that you're buying a foreign-built tractor,
regardless of the American-sounding brand name.  And John Deere still
commands a premium.  Must be the color.

Incidentally, your list of accessories is right.  PTO, hydraulics, 3-pt
hitch.  And in a smaller tractor, 4WD is essential unless you want to leave
chains on it all the time.

-Karl