[AT] Backing up tractor pictures and degenerating into a ramble.

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jan 16 22:56:47 PST 2005

I have a good friend who helped design the facilities for a major hard
drive manufacturer.  In discussing archiving with him he made the flat
statement that if something is stored magnetically, it is not archived.

I just shuffled about a dozen boxes of 3.5-inch floppy disks around
tonight.  I haven't touched anything on them in several years.  I'm
tempted to just throw them away, but I have a brother who would treat
them like gold.  I may give them to him instead.  I transfer everything
from computer to computer either with my external hard drive or via a
CD.  Those are so much cheaper and faster.  I'm obviously talking about
non-networked systems and file sizes that I don't want to wait on for
modem transfer.  You read it right -- I'm one of the few people left on
the face of the earth that is still in the dark ages of dial-up.

I use damaged CD's and the freebie's that I get from AOL for target
practice.  When I'm really on target, I can hit the hole in the center
of the disk at about 50 feet with a pellet gun.  Most of the time, I hit
the disk itself and it explodes like a clay pigeon.  Others can do a
whole lot better with any sort of firearm that I can.  I have the
dubious distinction of having served in the armed forces without ever
qualifying on the firing range.

Larry