OT: Re: [AT] Backing up tractor pictures and degenerating into a ramble.

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Jan 16 14:23:31 PST 2005

Floppies are about the worst media to keep any kind of data on. I went
through several boxes of old floppies from the late 90s recently. These
were stored upright in closed boxes and were mostly name brand, but some
reclaimed by doing full formats. The results were that about 10% of the
diskettes were OK, but 90% had errors of some kind or another.
Fortunately, there was nothing important on any of them - mostly files
downloaded from "bulletin boards" (remember them?).

The only way to ensure that any magnetic media is sound is to
periodically read the data off and write it back again, and very few of
us want to go through that task. That includes Zip disks, Jazz disks, as
well as hard drives and thumb drives. I recently tried out a handful of
older small hard drives that I had marked "OK" before setting aside, and
only 2 of the dozen or so were any good.

I have yet to have any optical media fail.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books,
and there is some evidence that they can't read them either. -Gore Vidal
(1925- )