[AT] hydraulics question

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Mon Jan 10 21:12:03 PST 2005

Cecil,

I've heard, and I think there is some truth to it that a cylinder CAN'T
settle unless the valve or something else is leaking.  This is because the
rod makes the displacement of the two ends different.  It was many years ago
that I heard the story of a Cat dozer's tracks remaining raised off the
ground overnight... and the piston had been deliberately removed from the
cylinder!  When you think about it, the rod couldn't retract unless *some*
oil equal to the volume of the rod went somewhere.

George Willer