[AT] Re: Hydraulic components

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jan 10 11:52:57 PST 2005

Relative to the Teflon tape, I read that if you start the tape a couple
of threads back from the end, there is little danger of any getting into
the system. Most folks have a tendency to start it right at the end of
the fitting, but where it is needed is back at least 5 or 6 threads in.

Mike

dfolske at nccray.net wrote:
> I have seen flakes of galvanizing material plugging orifices in
> hydraulic systems using galvanized pipe.  It doesn't happen often
> but it can. I've also seen orifices plugged with bits of teflon tape.
> Most implement dealers will tell you not to use that on hydraulic
> systems either but they still have it for sale on the parts counter!
>
> Some of the service bulletins I've seen for setting up hydraulic
> motors for various purposes (fan drives on air seeders, for one)
> specified using black pipe as much as possible rather than rubber
> hoses for heat dissapation.  One bulletin mentioned that galvanized
> pipe did not dissapate heat as well as black pipe either.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books,
and there is some evidence that they can't read them either. -Gore Vidal
(1925- )