Hydraulic components (was Re: [AT] (no subject)

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jan 9 11:37:39 PST 2005

The topic of using galvanized pipe for natural gas or propane caught my
attention enough to do some searching on the internet and although there are
a lot of reasons to not trust anything, I found a site that concerned
technology transfer to smaller gas suppliers that do not have their own
corrosion engineers on staff.  From what I gathered, galvanized pipe is not
good enough to be used underground for gas distribution, better coatings are
required or a system of sacrificial anodes have to be installed if black
steel is used instead of the preferred plastic systems.  16" above ground
galvanized pipe is OK, as long as it is electrically isolated and not mixed
with black pipe.  Mixing creates a dissimilar material joint that turns the
galvanized pipe into an anode which leads to corrosion.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116