Hydraulic components (was Re: [AT] (no subject)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 9 10:14:03 PST 2005

Original Message -----
From: <DAVIESW739 at aol.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: Hydraulic components (was Re: [AT] (no subject)

> Sounds like one of the old  wives tales to me. I have seen galvanized pipe
on
> lots of hydraulic systems, I  have one out in the yard right now. The only
> thing that I would think is that  its actually a zinc coating and that
could
> work like the zinc plates around a  Prop on ships and would be eaten away
by
> electrolyses . I don't see where this  would hurt anything but the pipe
would not
> last as long as black iron pipe.  However how long is that, most likely
longer
> than we would have to worry  about.

I can't say that I have ever heard any warnings on what kind of pipe to use
for hydraulic or fuel oil systems. I know I have galvanized pipe outlet on
my diesel storage tank, probably for about 25 years now.
The front end loader on my Massey has what appears to be ordinary iron pipe
for the hydraulic lines to the bucket. They have been on there since before
I got the tractor and have not given any problems.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/