[AT] Shift on the go - (was)Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 16:05:26 PST 2005

The AC "Power Director" was probably the most versatile and reliable of all
of the tractor range splitters.  It consists of two clutches running in oil
that will engage one of two drive shafts from the engine.  With this
arrangement there is a possibility for directly coupling the engine drive
shaft to the transmission with one of the clutch packs, an in-between
position where neither clutch is engaged, but the PTO and hydraulics are
still operating.  The third possibility is to engage the second clutch that
is driven by a second concentric engine drive shaft that has been geared
down by about 30%. to provide the low range.  The clutches are independent
and fully engage the transmission to the engine so there is no free
wheeling - unless you switch to the middle position without either clutch
engaged.  You could pickup a few miles per hour down hill with a load of hay
behind you - so as a reliable and conscientious 16 year old  it was only
done when my father wasn't watching.  On the latest derivatives of the D
series tractors like the 190 XT and 180 / 185 - maybe the 200 series, the
same basic powerdirector was used, but the clutches were engaged with power
from a small hydraulic piston slaved to a control lever.  I can imagine that
the engagement force for a wet clutch of sufficient size for the available
power may have made manual engagement less desirable or nearly impossible.
I always liked the ability to ease a load from start in low range and as
soon as you got some momentum snapping the power director into high range.
I think that it save a lot of wear on the main clutch.

I have some experience with the Oliver high low setup on both an 1850 and
1950 during my bean farming experiences.  If I remember right, they were
free wheeling in low range and were operated with just a knob that was
pulled out of the dash about 4" for low range.  The Oliver 6 speed
transmission was easy to shift on the move, unlike the AC 4 speed.  Always
thought that AC really blew it by not adding more than 4 gears on the D
series.

Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H