[AT] Shift on the go - (was)Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 15:21:25 PST 2005

> I have not used any of the "new fangled" AC's from the D series up
>     but I understand that their "Power Director" system uses a
> mechanical clutch in a center position between low range and high
> range which avoids the free wheeling problem. I believe it also
> replaced the hand clutch as used on the older WD, WD-45 and CA to
> give a live PTO. Perhaps someone like Charlie or Cecil or others can
> give us a better run down on them.

	I suppose this post will either take 24 hours to appear or it
wiil come back to me after 48 hours of trying to access the ATIS server
but I'm gonna try it anyhow.

	I have two D series Allis Chalmers tractors with the Hi-Lo lever.
The D-14 has a "shift on the go" Hi-Lo lever with a neutral center that
allows free wheeling. My D-12 Series III has a "stop before shifting"
Hi-Lo lever that does not have a center position and therefor no free
wheeling. I like features of both although I have to admit I like the
shift on the go business of the D-14. It has a sickle bar mower on it
and in tough or rough going, simply pulling back on the lever is nice to
have. Get past the rough spot and shove it forward and you are back in
business. On the D-12, it is more like a simple gear selector the way it
operates and having to stop can be a pain in the rear at times. Probably
a lot safer on hills or slopes than the D-14 but we have so many rocks
here in our area it is no problem to let the tractor roll up against a
convenient rock if you have to get off.

	Other than the comments above, I have no knowledge of what is
inside the transmission on these tractors or any idea how it really
works. I'm an operator and not much of a mechanic. Operators get the
deals and mechanics get the squeals these days.

Cecil

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson