[AT] Shift on the go - (was)Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sat Jan 8 13:43:43 PST 2005

In this discussion of frewheeling, I thought about a couple of differences
out here in typical California farming of yesteryear. First, baling has been
a dedicated engine task since horsedrawn days. I have only seen three pto
balers prior to the big rectangle balers (1 ton plus bales) here and all
were intended for 150HP tractors.... None of those were from the antique
tractor era. The same is true of the pull type combines of yesteryear - all
power unit driven. This would make the braking issues a little less. Second,
where hilly areas are farmed, usually the ground is worked by crawlers
whether old or new. Three, even in non row crop farming situations, once the
tractor size is larger than the small utilities (N series, compact tractors
etc.) farmers usually use row crop tractors with the higher wheels and
separate left and right brakes.
    So, we see lots of one side weak brakes on wheel tractors, but not a lot
of worn out equally ones.....
    Just a little different view.
        Grant Brians
        Hollister California
p.s. This rain and wind sure keeps us out of the fields at the moment....
Fortunately no serious flooding yet, but this could be one of those winters
here in coastal sentral California. No irrigation for a while now.