[AT] Shift on the go - (was)Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 8 13:43:24 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <robinson at svs.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 2:10 PM
Subject: [AT] Shift on the go - (was)Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

> I seem to recall that MM had a TA available in the late 1950's. Did
> any others? Did Deere ever have a shift on the go before the power
> shift transmissions? Scotts 1755 Oliver has an "under, direct and
> over" hydraulic shift. How early did Oliver (or any of the others for
> that matter) have a shift on the go of some kind?

I think most of the tractor manufacturers introduced some type of shift on
the go in the  late fifties except John Deere. The first power shift on them
was the 20 series of 4 cyl tractors. (about 64?)
Case-o-matic I think was available on the model 400 by 1957. Min Mo called
theirs "ampli torque" and it was available by 1957. I worked for a farmer
with an M-670 that had this feature and it worked well. Just a big lever on
the left as I recall and it could be shifted on the go up or down.
I think IH with their Torque Amplifier must have been about the first to
offer a shift on the go.
Can't say when I first saw an Oliver with this feature but a torque
converter drive was available on the model 990 in the late fifties. I seem
to recall reading ads for Oliver mentioning "hydra-lectric drive" which
sounds like another version of shift on the go.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/