[AT] Shift on the go - (was)Ramble: I broke a MF 255 into 2 pieces

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Sat Jan 8 12:10:03 PST 2005

farmer, Esq.
      Wealth beyond belief, just no money...

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net

On 8 Jan 2005 at 0:08, Dudley Rupert wrote:

> I am not familiar with the MF Multi-power option but it sounds like
> its' braking capability in low range is similar to that of the Farmall
> Torque Amplifier when the TA is engaged - that is, it has none.  I'd
> be interested in hearing someone who is familiar with both compare and
> contrast them  - Thanks in advance.

It is much alike except the MF multipower is all hydraulic and the
IHC TA (at least on all older ones) is mechanical shift. I think the
later TA's are hydraulic. My tractors except for the #$%& CUB all
have good brakes. The MF-165D has excellent brakes and a very good
brake lock.
The thing I like least about both is the free wheeling in low range.
I don't have a lot of big hills but all have enough rolling slopes
that when using wheeled implements like a baler for example the free
wheeling is a problem. I often have to run pretty slow when baling
since I usually end up with heavier windrows than intended.   :-)
If I am running in low gear and low range there are always places
where I have to drag the brakes on hills to hold everything back.

I have not used any of the "new fangled" AC's from the D series up
:-)    but I understand that their "Power Director" system uses a
mechanical clutch in a center position between low range and high
range which avoids the free wheeling problem. I believe it also
replaced the hand clutch as used on the older WD, WD-45 and CA to
give a live PTO. Perhaps someone like Charlie or Cecil or others can
give us a better run down on them.
I seem to recall that MM had a TA available in the late 1950's. Did
any others? Did Deere ever have a shift on the go before the power
shift transmissions? Scotts 1755 Oliver has an "under, direct and
over" hydraulic shift. How early did Oliver (or any of the others for
that matter) have a shift on the go of some kind?