[Steam-engine] Repro Castings

Tod Engine todengine at zoominternet.net
Tue Feb 15 17:52:00 PST 2005

Jim,

We can cast just about any metal. Steel, iron, ductile iron, aluminum, brass
and bronze.  I do some work for a small local foundry and we have a deal
where I can make my own molds and pour them and just pay them for the sand
used and amount of metal poured.   This is a temporary arrangement until I
get my foundry up and running.  In the Tod Engine restoration shop I have a
small cupola for melting iron and making ductile, and have the materials
gathered to construct an aluminum and brass furnace.  We can handle castings
from 30-60 lbs. no problem, and actually up to 300 lbs. we can do in house.
I can even have a piece cast for you up to about 4,000 lbs. by having
another foundry pour the metal.  Actually I have a couple of 1,000 lb.
couplings for the Tod Engine to make one day and when I do them I'll make
the patterns out of styrofoam, make the molds and truck them down to a
foundry near Pittsburgh to pour.

The "Tod Engine Works" foundry is a way for me to wean off of making a
paycheck and into self employment, and also a way to make some money for the
Tod Engine project.  I hope to become the first stop for what I call non
commercial users of castings, people like you who have a casting or two that
needs made but not something that would be of interest to a regular foundry.
I am a fellow hobbyist so I care a bit more about the quality of castings
unlike the typical founder who just sees your work as another job and is
just in it for the money.

 Lokk on my webshots site in the Tod Engine Works album for a few photos of
my recent castings. http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine  I made a
coupler knuckle for the San Diego Railroad Museum, brake shoes for 2 foot
gauge locomotives and cars, pistons for hit and miss engines.  I've even
taken an iron handwheel that was broken into six pieces, put it back
together long enough to make a mold and cast a new one of ductile iron.

So send me what you have in mind and we can discuss.

Thanks

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Works
100 South Bridge Street Bldg. F