[AJD] Late A cylinder block vs Early 60 Cylinder block???

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Feb 10 20:45:44 PST 2005

Ok, I now have the block out of A Ser # 654037 and the casting number on the
block is A3703A as expected. I don't see any visible cracks. Of course the
pistons are stuck which made it a bit harder to remove and heavier to
handle. The cylinder walls don't look all that bad but I doubt if just a
simple honing will be adequate. Looks like STD pistons currently are in it
which is good as that allows any boring size desired. The rods are Insert
bearing type. Piston pin wear is just slightly noticeable.

I would like to hear from those of you who have faced up to the boring
decision and then decided to go a certain way.  Obviously there are at least
3 different bores potentially or boring with the intention of sleeving back
to STD.  I curious what parameters you used to make your decisions. And what
measurements you made on the pistons and the acceptable tolerances you used
if you decided to use the original pistons again.

I plan to carefully press the pistons out the bottom, hone the cylinder
walls to see what I have. Clean up the pistons and then take some
measurements. What limits on dimensional tolerances do you use to make use
vs replace decisions?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290