[AJD] Late A cylinder block vs Early 60 Cylinder block???

Steve Treimer steelerhawk at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 13:31:06 PST 2005

Dean,
I also believe so.  I had a '49 A S/N 639xxx.  It's block was cracked
and a learned a lot about trying to find a new one.  As JR told me, the
50-52 blocks and the subsequent 60 blocks have 5 bolt bosses to the
main case vs. 4 on the '47 - '49 blocks.  I am sure that the heads for
any late A will fit a 60 and vise versa as I almost went this route
when I got my '49 fixed up with a new block.
I have had so many people tell me about the weakness of the A/60 blocks
that I've concluded the next time I get one that's cracked I'm just
going to sleeve it immediately and save myself the agonizing search and
paying the same or more and not necessary having a tight bore.
Steve