[AT] AC-170 Diesel starts in the cold

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Wed Dec 14 17:23:04 PST 2005

Thanks for all the comments orange.
The crack goes between two frost plugs and actually stops (as far as I can
tell) at the outside edge of the bosses that outline the plugs.  I will
probably have it stitched because it seemed like such a big issue to the
dealer as well as "around these parts here" in general.  It will not cost a
fortune and will be something that will significantly enhance value down the
road should I ever sell it.  My second choice would be JB weld.  Although I
have used "leak plug in a can", there is just something about it that seems
like cheating to me.  Just a self-imposed viewpoint about doing it "right" -
although my value system would allow it to be used in a pinch until one has
the time to do it right.  When the first D-14's engine was rebuilt, I had
the meaningless crack between two cylinders fixed, because it just seemed
like the right way to do it - to me.

It isn't here yet, part of the deal was not to be too impatient in receiving
it, let him combine it with another trip out this way before the end of the
year.

It has a block heater and can't wait to try it - it was -3 F here this AM.

Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC 170 D
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H