[AT] OT: intersting discussion about idiling a cold car

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 14 14:26:08 PST 2005

The same anti-idling law applies here in Sask. too although I think it is ok
if you leave the vehicle locked. I don't think its too rigidly enforced in
small town Sask. though. I find with the older vehicles it was almost a
necessity to let them warm up before they would drive in winter. I can get
away with it on the manual choked ones by just pulling the choke on a bit so
the engine doesn't stall. Probably not the best thing for gas mileage. On
the automatic choked engiines it would not come off fast idle until the
choke has released somewhat so you'd get quite a jolt putting the trans into
drive. Now the newr fuel injected engines are so simple to just start up and
drive away that I find myself only waiting a couple of minutes or so of
idling and then driving away. Slowly of course, remember, my driveway is
half a mile long and then its six miles of gravel before I meet much if any
traffic. Not quite the same as pulling onto a city street or interstate and
having to keep up to high speed traffic.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/