[AT] Portland Handicap Permits

jfgrant jfgrant at triton.net
Tue Aug 16 17:59:10 PDT 2005

Well from my experience this is how it went. My Dr. prescribed a handicap
vehicle i.e.. a hoveround , rascal etc. for indoor and outdoor use. I went
to the local store and that's where I got my education. Medicare will ONLY
(at this time) pay for a motorized wheelchair IF the patient cannot get
around within the home. They (Medicare) will not consider any usage for
without the home. If you cannot get from your bedroom to the bathroom -
kitchen then they will consider your application. If you can walk a limited
amount within your home chances are that you will not be approved. If you
main reason for a vehicle is getting around outside they will NOT approve or
even consider you. My main reason was for outdoor use so the store said that
I would be wasting my and their time. I did find a wonderful unit that had
just been traded in at a very reasonable cost so that's what I got. I was
able to save the sales tax as I had a prescription and was able to deduct it
on my income tax as a medical expense. Other areas may be different but
that's the way it is here in Michigan. I was informed that next year they
(Medicare) may rethink their position regarding power wheelchairs to more
scoter type vehicles as power chairs are very expensive. Duh-! I use mine to
get from the house to the tractor shed. (tractor reference).  John Grant