Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Wed Aug 10 13:38:17 PDT 2005

I will add a few cents to this in between doing money making work.... Here
in California a typical Solar energy system does cost about $20K. It will
put out a peak of about 2.5-3Kw. The typical payback is 7-10 years if
interest is not counted. With a 20% increase in efficiency of the panels or
a similar drop in manufacturing costs (inevitable if volumes increase as
they appear to be doing) that payback time will drop to about 5 years. My
folks just installed two of these systems at the ranch (I did all of the
prep work including bracing the barn....) Even without incentives the
payback time is still usually no more than 15-17 years.
    Now here is the kicker... If half of the homes in California had Solar
systems on their roofs, the daytime peak transmission needs for the whole
state would be met locally and no new intertie would have to be built and
the new natural gas pipelines would not have to be built (from Canada to
here!) In addition, with solar generation at current technology levels
around 75-80% of daytime electrical energy needs could be met in this
country without new interties, saving tens of billions in construction cost
and cutting gas and oil imports by a significant margin. Daytime use is what
is driving the use of the older less efficient oil, natural gas and other
fossil fuel generating plants. The reduction possible in these fuels, would
likely be enough to pull the world back from the low margin we are now at
and reduce the price of oil significantly - also helping our balance of
payments.
    If the panels were manufactured here instead of overseas, manufacturing
jobs could be generated and we could benefit from the efficiencies on that
side too. Right now because we have no policy encouraging solar energy,
mostly foreign companies are investing in the technologies and making the
profits....
    In short, solar and wind energy (yes it is important but a much smaller
source) could make a huge difference in our energy consumption and the price
of that imported energy. The other part of the equation though is
conservation and hence reduced use of energy for both transportation and
stationary usages. Miserable fuel economy of our transportation system
accounts for massive amounts of use. Also, all of the decreases in energy
use possible from better building construction and fewer wasted miles add up
in a hurry. I'd better close now as I have essential work to do.....
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California