Alt fuels was Re: [AT] Gasoline $

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 10:58:22 PDT 2005

My son has a 2-wheel drive Ford Ranger with the 3.0 liter FFV that can burn
anything from 15% gas / 85% Ethanol to regular.  I noticed this morning that
E85 was 20 - 25 cents less than regular here.  We have a fuel chain with
some farm interest (MFA) that sells E10 at the same price as regular.
Almost anything would burn up to 20% Ethanol, E20 (never seen it however)
without modification.

He says that the reduced MPG is just shy of offsetting the lower cost of E85
in his Ranger.  He also says that if he runs to about half a tank and
alternates between E85 and E10 that the MPG difference isn't as bad, which
makes sense.

I have tried to run E10 in all the on-road cars, just to by 10% corn and 90%
foreign oil just for principle. I did happen to use regular once and it
seemed to get better mileage than the E10 with our 95+ temps lately.

I think 15% gasoline must be added to Ethanol to make it "denatured".  I
think some of my grandparents were early ethanol producers in the area, but
they called it something like "Lighting".  At one time, I knew where the old
copper cooker was stored, but I've lost track of it.

I have solar heating using photosenthysis.  Sunlight makes trees grow, I cut
them down and burn them.....  All the O2 the tree produces during it's life
offsets the CO2 I create burning it.

I shucked some of my corn last night, the cobs are good size and full
length, but there are only about 25% of the kernels there.    My milo is
just starting to head, so I don't know how it's going to do yet.  It was
rough ground when I planted and I need a new planter so I have some skips in
addition to what the drought would have caused.  I also must be the best
deer feed around, I've sure got a lot of them in the milo now.

---