[Steam-engine] pipe threads

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Fri Aug 5 13:45:01 PDT 2005

Hi Andy;
     Cutting inside pipe threads on the lathe is not impossible,
but you do need a taper attachment to do it right. I would try to find an
old tap
at a flea market and grind it back, being careful not to overheat it. If
there is
a change in color of the metal, you are drawing the temper down and losing
the hardness of the steel. Cool it in a pail of lukewarm water in between
short
stints on the grinding wheel. Use your good tap to start, and your modified
tap
to finish. A Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel will work to cut the tap down
if
you are patient and move around to avoid any big heat build up in one area.
Enjoy working on your new project!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy

  Will a standard pipe tap work?