[Steam-engine] pipe threads

Andre' Blanchard andre at usermail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:15:59 PDT 2005

At 02:48 PM 8/5/2005, you wrote:
>I'm a novice when it comes to pipe threads so i need a
>little help.  The Huber has a "shock absorber"
>aparatus connecting the bull gear to the rear wheel.
>see it here http://groups.msn.com/Racerpics/huber.msnw
>  The engine uses 10 shocks and I was missing a couple.
>  I have had castings made of the caps on the ends of
>the pipe nipple.  I need to bore them to size and put
>2" pipe threads in them.  I think that I can handle
>the boring but I'm unsure about the threads.
>Threading these caps should be similar to threading a
>standard pipe cap.  Will a standard pipe tap work?
>I'm afraid that the tap will bottom out before it cuts
>enough threads.  Is there such a thing as a bottoming
>tap for pipe threads?
>
>Andy Glines
>Evansville, IN

I have ground the end off pipe taps to do such things but I have never
needed to do it on a tap bigger then 1/2.  Cheapest 2" pipe tap I could
find was about $95.00 for an import and $121.00 for a USA brand.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=299

They do make what they call short projection taps for things like what you
are talking about, they are, of course more money.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=301

Are you sure the threads are tapered?  I guess if you have had some cast
you have looked them over fairly close.

Any female tapered pipe threads we do at work larger then 3/4" we usually
end up single point milling in a CNC, but then they are usually in some
nasty block of stainless.