[Steam-engine] pipe threads

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 12:48:43 PDT 2005

I'm a novice when it comes to pipe threads so i need a
little help.  The Huber has a "shock absorber"
aparatus connecting the bull gear to the rear wheel.
see it here http://groups.msn.com/Racerpics/huber.msnw
 The engine uses 10 shocks and I was missing a couple.
 I have had castings made of the caps on the ends of
the pipe nipple.  I need to bore them to size and put
2" pipe threads in them.  I think that I can handle
the boring but I'm unsure about the threads.
Threading these caps should be similar to threading a
standard pipe cap.  Will a standard pipe tap work?
I'm afraid that the tap will bottom out before it cuts
enough threads.  Is there such a thing as a bottoming
tap for pipe threads?

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN