[AT] OT:I need some computer help please

David Bruce davidbruce at yadtel.net
Tue Apr 26 11:22:02 PDT 2005

Ricky,
I've bought several used computers (none through Ebay - all local).  In
Winston-Salem we have a local computer store that sells new (built by them) and
used ones they take in on trade.  You might want to see if there is a local shop
that sells used machines.  Most stuff you mentioned other than the picture stuff
shouldn't take a lot of "horsepower".  My current machine has 512mb of ram and a
Pentium 4 2.4 processor.  This is way more than needed for websurfing and
emailing.  My previous machine has a Pentium III 733 and 512 mb ram - it would
do almost everything I wanted but I got into digital video and it was a little
slow for that purpose.  I would recommend at least 512 mg of ram for Windows XP
- less means more use of the harddrive memory swap and will slow down things
greatly.  I did have a machine at work with XP Pro on a 300 mhz processor - I
did have 512 mb of ram.  It did run but it was SLOW.
A used machine with a P III or a similar AMD processor and Windows 98SE might do
what you need and these machines are cheap (assuming you have a monitor you can
use with it.
Windows XP is much more stable and is becoming required for lots of new programs
and Microsoft is limiting or ending it's support for Win 98 (something to think
about).  I did put Win XP on my older machine (just for fun) and it does a
pretty good job of running it.
Computers are a lot like cars, trucks and tractors - new is not always better.

David