[AT] OT:I need some computer help please

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Apr 26 15:15:45 PDT 2005

You've asked a question that pushes all the buttons of this group,
Ricky.  There are liable to be as many opinions on this as there were on
asparagus.  :-)

You need Windows XP.  There is enough new software out there that run on
that as the minimum platform that you'll be short-changing yourself it
you go with Windows 98.  That automatically locks you out of the old
processors.  They won't support that OS.  If you buy a new unit (as
opposed to a refurbished one) it will automatically contain Window
XP+SP2.  (SP2 = Service Pack 2.)

The minimum RAM for XP is 256Meg, but you don't really want to run on
that little.  Even the bargain basement computers are now coming with
512Meg in them.  I have one computer that is still running on just
512Meg, but I have three others are running on 1 Gigabyte.  Even that
amount of memory is not enough when you start working with big graphics
files.  I'm talking BIG graphics files -- as in 12 Gigabytes!

On storage -- you can never have enough.  I still have one computer that
is hamstrung with just 40 Gigabytes.  The rest are at 80, 160, 250.  Be
aware that certain functions of the operating system will not work when
your hard drive exceeds 80% capacity.  I had two computers that would
not complete the disk defragmentation operation because of that.  It
wasn't because the whole hard drive was over 80% filled, but rather
because the partition in which the OS resided was full beyond that
point.

You have already received comments about video streaming.  That's coming
-- big time.  The last three computers I have purchased (some for gifts,
some for me) all came with the hardware and software for downloading and
streaming live video feeds (from cable or otherwise) and for burning DVD
disks of programs as you view them.  They actually came equipped to act
as the "director" unit in a home theater.  To do video streaming
effectively -- even for just converting your old VHS tapes or camcorder
materials -- you have to have a clock speed of around 2 Gigahertz.
Actually, I think the minimum is 1.6 Gigahertz, but you're liable to get
an occasional hiccough in the video and audio streaming when you're
running that slowly.  LAST YEAR'S top-of-the-line computers had
dual-level DVD burners in them.  You can expect that this year that type
of drive will work its way down into the less expensive units.

Current prices for off-the-shelf specials that are being advertised in
the Sunday supplements for a machine that will do what you need is in
the neighborhood of $500.  That machine will not have all the bells and
whistles, but it will continue to be usable as you add things to it for
several years.

Larry