[AJD] Mixing High Octane gasoline and Diesel fuel

Bus Driver mpmbd at yadtel.net
Tue Apr 12 20:00:44 PDT 2005

Your informant is totally confused. High octane gasoline burns more slowly
than lower octane. Low octane gasoline will compression ignite quicker than
higher octane. Diesel fuel will compression ignite quicker than even low
octane gasoline, therefore it "spark knocks" worse. The 87 octane will
perform better in an old tractor than will any higher octane. For all-fuel
tractors with the original manifold and carburetor- or equivalents- the
mixture of regular gasoline and kerosene will usually work fine in Summer-
about 50-50 ratio. I think putting diesel fuel in a spark ignited engine in
any significant amount will result in the Mother of all plug fouling.