[AT] Mixing High Octane gasoline and Diesel fuel

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Tue Apr 12 21:47:48 PDT 2005

    Pre-ignition and detonation are 2 seperate conditions.
    Pre-ignition occurs when the fuel charge, under pressure at
the compression stroke, is ignited prior to the desired time in
relation to the ignition timing. Pre-ignition is commonly caused
by a leftover heat source in the combustion chamber. Common
causes are hot carbon particles and a sharp edge on the cylinder
head or top of the piston.
    Detonation, or pinging, is the condition where the sudden
expansion from the initional ignition causes enough heat and
pressure at a point away from the desired ignition point that it
starts a second flame front that then travels back to the
initial flame. These two flame fronts collide with terrific
force and is what you hear as pinging. Detonation is always a
secondary condition after initial ignition has occurred.
pre-ignition can cause the onset of detonation.
    Contrary to many beliefs, the mixture in a cylinder does not
explode. It burns rapidly with a controlled flame that will
continue to burn till the piston is near the bottom of the power
stroke, applying a steady push on the piston and not a sharp
hammer blow at the top of the stroke.

    Back to your original question, yes, I have mixed diesel
fuel in gasoline for tractors. Typically about half a gallon to
5 gallons of gasoline and I do believe it developed more power
and certainly did no harm.

                Gene