[AJD] Mixing High Octane gasoline and Diesel fuel

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Tue Apr 12 20:41:22 PDT 2005

Only thing I can go by is what I experienced myself. Have the yellow diesel
cans and the red gas cans. Needed more diesel one time than I had diesel
cans, so used a gas can to get the extra. Ended up with about half a gas can
of diesel. My son thought we had two partial cans of gas, so poured the
remaining gas in one can into the diesel in the other. I figured that
instead of wasting the fuel, would put it into my '48 gasoline B and fill
the tank the rest of the way with gas. It ran, but not very well even after
it warmed up. I suspect that there was less than a 25% mixture of diesel in
the tank. Was sure glad when that batch was used up. Also on a side note,
the diesel caused my fuel shutoff at the bowl as well as all the carb
gaskets to start leaking like a sieve. Had to replace the carb gaskets and
bowl valve. Not saying that it wouldn't work, just that it didn't work very
well for me. My '44 all fuel B runs just great on kerosene after it reaches
temp, but would hesitate to put diesel in her.