[AT] Semi OT - Trailer question

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sat Apr 9 00:15:47 PDT 2005

John,
I certainly could be wrong but this sounds like maybe a short between the
tail light wire and the trailer brake wire either in the truck wiring or the
trailer wiring.
You might want to disconnect the truck/trailer connector, turn the truck
head/tail lights on, check the tail light pin in the truck half of the
connector for +12 volts (which, of course, you would expect to have) and
then check the brake pin to see if +12 volts were also present there.  If it
was this would, of course, indicate a short in the truck tail light/brake
wiring (I would not expect this short to cause any fuse to blow).
If there were no voltage present on the brake pin in the truck half of the
connector then you might want to do a continuity check between the tail
light pin and the brake pin in the trailer half of the connector.  If you
find low resistance here I would think that this would indicate a short
between these two wires somewhere in the trailer (again, I would not expect
this to cause any fuse to blow).
Let me hasten to say that I do not have a trailer with electric brakes so I
may be totally misunderstanding how they are wired up and this suggestion
may be worthless.
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington