[Farmall] Cub Year made

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Thu Sep 16 12:56:56 PDT 2004

I would add to Mike's comments about "value" of the two tractor models:
the Cubs tend to fetch a slight higher price, assuming that conditions
are equal. The main reason (around here anyway) is that a Cub is small
enough to be hauled easily, can fit into one end of a standard garage
without taking up the space of a car, and is about as small a "real"
tractor as the average mini-rancher is likely to find. The original A,
on the other hand, didn't have electric start or any kind of rear lift.
But it did come with a standard PTO. Later the Super A had electric
start and a hydraulic lift, but it still wasn't anything like the Ford
N's three point. The Cub also had a PTO, but it was proprietary, so
unless you got a bunch of implements with the tractor, the PTO is pretty
much useless.

The main use for Cubs these days is mowing lawns, pulling carts and
little manure spreaders, and driving in parades. Mowers for A's are not
as common, but you can still pull a cart/spreader and drive it in the
parade. I doubt that more than 1% of the older Farmalls are still used
for any kind of farming. Believe it or not, you can still buy brand new
Woods rotary mowers for Farmall As and Cubs, but they cost as much as
the tractor. Whether you would want to go that route is a matter for the
individual owner to decide, but without a live PTO, using the mower can
be an "interesting" chore.

So while the two models are somewhat similar, the Cub tends to be more
"desirable", and that is what sets the price, not the actual utility.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. -John
Arbuthnot, writer and physician (1667-1735)