[Farmall] Cub Year made

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Thu Sep 16 15:37:46 PDT 2004

I have a Cub 154, a Farmall A and an International A.  It is a matter of
taste (and probably use) as to which one is most valuable.   For me and
for use I much prefer the A's.  I think they are built stronger (certainly
than the 154) and have more power.  I have a belly mower on the
International A and no problems using it.  I do not think a three spindle
belly mower carries the same momentum with it that the heavier blades of a
brush hog do with a tractor without live pto.  The Cub 154 is a little
handier to get on and off and occasionally the live pto is useful in
mowing close around things when one is stopping and starting.  However, it
will not mow nearly as heavy a growth as will the International A (both
60" finish mowers; both rated about the same horsepower).   I can haul the
Cub easier and a regular Cub will probably fit in the back of a half ton
pickup...I have not tried that with a Farmall A.  For the reasons that
Mike mentioned, the Cub probably will go for higher dollar than the A
(more demand by folks with limited room), but which is more
valuable....well that is why they have horse races...a difference of
opinion.

Larry Hardesty

Mike Sloane <msloane at att.net>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
09/16/2004 02:56 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Cub Year made

I would add to Mike's comments about "value" of the two tractor models:
the Cubs tend to fetch a slight higher price, assuming that conditions
are equal. The main reason (around here anyway) is that a Cub is small
enough to be hauled easily, can fit into one end of a standard garage
without taking up the space of a car, and is about as small a "real"
tractor as the average mini-rancher is likely to find. The original A,
on the other hand, didn't have electric start or any kind of rear lift.
But it did come with a standard PTO. Later the Super A had electric
start and a hydraulic lift, but it still wasn't anything like the Ford
N's three point. The Cub also had a PTO, but it was proprietary, so
unless you got a bunch of implements with the tractor, the PTO is pretty
much useless.

The main use for Cubs these days is mowing lawns, pulling carts and
little manure spreaders, and driving in parades. Mowers for A's are not
as common, but you can still pull a cart/spreader and drive it in the
parade. I doubt that more than 1% of the older Farmalls are still used
for any kind of farming. Believe it or not, you can still buy brand new
Woods rotary mowers for Farmall As and Cubs, but they cost as much as
the tractor. Whether you would want to go that route is a matter for the
individual owner to decide, but without a live PTO, using the mower can
be an "interesting" chore.

So while the two models are somewhat similar, the Cub tends to be more
"desirable", and that is what sets the price, not the actual utility.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. -John
Arbuthnot, writer and physician (1667-1735)